August 23, 2012

2 days in zermatt

Questions asked (not answered) while hiking along the base of the Matterhorn:

Does it make it's own clouds? Or are clouds attracted to it? Is it like a cloud magnet up there? Do all mountains have their own weather patterns? Do mountain peaks have a greater gravitational pull? Would I weigh more or less at the top? How cold must be up there? How do you even get up there? 

If you know any of the answers to these questions please feel free to chime in. The Matterhorn seems to exist in / create its own weather patterns. The sky will be crystal clear blue like you've never seen blue sky before, but hugging the edge of the pyramidal peak will be a fluffy white mass. And trust me next to those rigid peaks it looks pretty damn fluffy. 

We are continually amazed by Zermatt. Call it Swiss Bliss, but the minute we arrive I feel rejuvenated and alive and present. You know? That feeling where it all just feels right and you are relaxed and everything seems to have fallen into place. Well that is how I feel when we go to Zermatt. Granted I feel something similar whenever we go to the mountains, but there is something about that peak, and that valley and those glaciers that just get me. We were only there for one night and two days, but that was enough. 
Right after we dropped our bags at the hotel we hustled up the mountain for lunch with a view. It was our friends first time in Zermatt, so we just had to take them to Chez Vrony. Surprise, surprise they loved it as much as we do. Zach convinced everyone else to get the burger, but I stuck to my favorite and ordered the lamb knuckle. There is just something about a giant bone sitting on my plate as I stare up at the Matterhorn that makes my soul and my stomach happy. It is one of those meals for me, where I slow down and appreciate every little moment and every little taste. 
On our second day we did the same hike we did last summer, right around the base of the Matterhorn. I think I said this last time, but it is like walking on the moon; the landscape is rocky and barren and the colors are muted and grey with spots of red.

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos, Talley, and it looks like an amazing place. I'm jealous... both of the mountains and the lamb knuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so beautiful! Living in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, my husband and I are always looking towards the peaks and commenting on the weather up there. We used to live up in those mountains, and it could be a blizzard up there but warm and sunny in the foothills and I had to take photos to prove it to my friends down below. It's a mystery to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talley, I love the bright intensity of these photos. Very atmospheric.

    I've never had a lamb knuckle. What are they like? I had a pork knuckle recently in Berlin, but I suspect that it was a very different sort of creature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really does look like the Matterhorn is making its own clouds :) In the summer we usually go hiking in the French Alps, but I'm dying to see more of Switzerland this year, especially after seeing all of your incredible photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the Matterhorn is stunning and forbidding at the same time. For awhile, I was absolutely set on hiking the Swiss Alps on my honeymoon. There was something so romantic about the idea. But after backpacking through South America this past year—which involved lots of hiking—I've had to concede that mountaineering is not very romantic. Just sweaty. Haha. But I still want to see the Alps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh I hate my life. I'm just kidding. Seriously though, I just want to be wherever you are. I don't care if it's a public bathroom, if it's in Switzerland, I want to be there. Is that weird? These photos are unbelievably beautiful, and I hope one day I get to Chez Vrony — just visited your old post on this spot...amazing!

    ReplyDelete